12.10.2012

African American Hair

Can I rant to you guys? I'm not much of a complainer when it comes to magazines. Especially the ones of the teen variety seeing as though I really enjoy them ad it is my dream to work at one. But is it just me or have you noticed to lack of African American related articles. When looking through the beauty section of magazines such as Teen Vogue and Seventeen magazine you will see hair ideas article such as How to Treat Your Hair Type or Nine Celebrity Hairstyles for the Holidays. I'm sorry to say but with my natural hair I am not able to do any of these styles with my hair, I don't even think I am capable of doing that with my hair straight. I looked around Seventeen for beauty articles with African American girls as the topic. The only things I could find were Try a Knit Headband and Sleek Side Bun which is super lame, unoriginal and for people with relaxed hair. Truthfully all they are offering is a minimal amount of mediocre hair styles for girls with relaxed or weaved hair. I think that teen magazines should try to relate and hear out ideas from girls  like me with natural or relaxed hair. We like to wear pretty and outrageous hairstyles too and no Teen Vogue this doesn't count. 

Later Days,
Lauren

4 comments:

  1. yes! i thought i was the only one who thought this! that is why i'm really thankful for youtube and sites like naturallycurly.com because they offer a ton of ideas and tips. one thing that annoys me a lot is when articles are titled "ideas for CURLY hair" but when you click on it, it's meant to be for wavy hair. like there's a difference between wavy and curly, they're not the same!! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad someone out there is on the same page as me. I'm seriously thinking about writing them a letter about it. It really sucks.

      Delete
  2. Yes! That's why blogs are > corporate magazines. Along with that letter, YOU should write a hair piece!
    Ps. I am digging your style :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thanks for the tip. I'm definitely going to work on that.
      By the way thanks for the follow. I love your blog and your style also.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...